Splendeur du Baroque

SAINT-BRUNO’s CHURCH IS A MASTERPIECE OF BAROQUE ART

THE BALDACHIN (CANOPY OVER THE ALTAR) IS UNIQUE BECAUSE OF ITS DRAPERIES MADE OF GENUINE CLOTH COVERED WITH STUCCO


Arrow
Arrow
Slider

Eglise Saint-Bruno Splendeur du Baroque
A non-profit association organized under the law of 1901
Address: 7 impasse des Chartreux - 69001 LYON

 


 

The restoration of four lateral chapels was completed in the summer of 2015. Restoration of the reception chapel at the entrance was finished in January 2016.
These chapels can now be visited during the church‘s opening hours.

 


 

During European Heritage Days: September 17 and 18, 2016

Saint Bruno's church will be open to visits :

  • on Saturday 17 September: from 10 am until noon and from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m.
  • on Sunday 18 September: from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m.

We will provide free guided tours (approximately 90 minutes in length) covering the church and the principal existing buildings of the former Charterhouse of Lyon at the following time :

  • Saturday 17 September : at 10 a.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.
  • Sunday 18 September: at 2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.

 


Three paintings have recently undergone restoration and on January 22, 2016 they were re-installed :

  • "Le Mariage de la Vierge", (the Wedding of the Virgin), by Charles-Michel-Ange CHALLE , dated 1752, can be seen in the reception chapel,
  • "L'Adoration des Mages" (the Adoration of the Magi), by Chloé du PASQUIER, dated 1846, in the Saint-Irenaeus chapel,
  • "Saint Joseph à l'Enfant" (Saint Joseph with child), by Louise BRONDEL, dated 1880, in the Saint-Joseph chapel.

The restauration of the paintings installed in the chapels flanking the transept was funded by the City of Lyon and undertaken by the VICAT-BLANC studio for the Adoration of the Magi and by the Julie BARTH studio for pour Saint Joseph with child.

Following restoration of the painting entitled Wedding of the Virgin, one can see key characters, objects and landscape views that were previously invisible. The work was accomplished by the DE BECDELIEVRE studio. Funding for this work and for the restoration of the reception chapel was provided by our Association (Eglise Saint-Bruno, Splendeur du Baroque) and by the French Government (Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles).

Our Association expresses profound gratitude to its donors, its members and partners : the Saint-Irénée Foundation and the Fondation du Patrimoine.